Thursday, February 23, 2017

Last trip to the Woodland Park Zoo


My membership officially expires February 28th, so I knew we had to get back to the zoo one more time before we head east. We really do love the zoo!

Sunny day forecasted on the Friday BEFORE Winter Break - pack our bags, let's head to Seattle!!

The hippos were out! We arrived at the zoo a little later than we usually do and they are most often completely submerged in the water. Brock was astounded by how big they are!

I loved how on this trip, Kade really was enjoying all the animals as well! His little voice saying "giraffe" (or trying to) is super cute!!

The lion looked just like Oscar sunning himself on the top of that rock. As soon as I took this shot, he got up and gave us his backside! Funny lion!

Brock was hanging out with the climb-able lions....

We made our way around to the playground right outside the river otters area. Brock needed to let out some energy (Maybe it had something to do with him standing on the stroller instead of walking next to it!!) and it was good for Kade to stretch his legs! He was very cute playing peek-a-boo in the pretend bamboo!

Brock asks me every trip if we can go on the Carousel and every time I always just tell him we don't have enough money for that today. Knowing today was the last visit, I felt like we had to ride.... even though I started twitching when I had to fork over six dollars for one ride!!


The boys were adorable on it! Brock was fascinated by their two horses being connected and Kade was just enamored by everything - lights, sounds, horse moving! Yeah, I guess it was money well spent!

Here's a cute video of the boys on the ride.




Next stop was the penguins!!
Brock has been on a bit of a penguin kick since our flight home from North Carolina. Did I mention he watched "Penguins of Madagascar" TWICE on the plane? Thank you Uncle Brian for the wifi! Everything has been about penguins and what they eat, where do they live, etc. While watching them here, he kept sizing himself up to the water height: "Look Momma, the water is up to here on me!"


After a stop for lunch, we headed inside to the indoor play area. I know we have videos of Brock tackling this slide at a young age and Kade being fearless, climbed right up and did it too! He didn't mind how fast he was going at all!!


There is an open area of birds in the Tropical Rainforest and Kade immediately pointed out this red bird.

Can you spot the two Red Ruffed Lemurs in this picture?? They have a black and white face.

We managed to get a little window-space at the gorilla exhibit and came just at the right time to see the baby gorilla out with her mother. Baby Yola is 15 months old now!

Baby Yola looking at Kade! (And Kade is looking at a different gorilla and making monkey noises)

Brock was being a pill and didn't care to see the actual gorillas - he was more interested in climbing all over these statues of the animals. Oh well, it was a long day.

Last stop was the flamingos - Brock & Kade enjoyed watching those "pink skinny birds."

Picture from inside the car - my birthday present - wolf leggings from my friend Abbey!! (No one took MY picture!) But I love them and felt I was dressed appropriately for the zoo!

I hope Brock and Kade enjoyed the zoo as much as I did. The zoo is in North Seattle, but really only takes us about 35 minutes to get there from our home! It has been so sweet to stop in on our favorites through the years (Brock loves that the tigers are the same age as him) and observe new animals every visit!

We love and will miss you Woodland Park Zoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment