Monday, January 28, 2013

Happy BIRTHday Brock Alexander!

Brock Alexander Eason was born on January 21st at 9:43pm PST, weighing 9 pounds, 1 ounce and measuring 20 1/2 inches. I think he surprised us all at how big he was!! Here is the story of his "Birth"day!

Monday morning I woke up at 5am (after already going to the bathroom about 6 times throughout the night) and on my way back to the bed, I went to the bathroom again. After I changed and wet myself two more times, a light bulb went off and I finally figured out that my water had officially broken and it was game time! Even though my contractions hadn't started, I woke up Brent so he could get ready and take the dogs to the boarders. The contractions started about 12 minutes apart just as Brent was walking out the door - obviously different than the Braxton Hicks I had experienced, but quite manageable. After a quick shower and finishing packing my and the baby's bag, I called the doctor. It was 9am and contractions were 6 minutes apart and lasting about 45 seconds. Since my water had broken, she said we were free to come on in to the hospital anytime, but could labor a bit at home if we wanted. It took less than 30 minutes for me to make the call as the contractions were getting more intense.

Finally we were on our way to the hospital. With all the bumps and turns and curves, I made Brent pull over so I could put another towel between my legs. By the time we would get up to Labor & Delivery, the towel would be saturated! They checked me in at 10am and I informed them that our plan was for me to try to go as far as I could without any medicine and see what happens. I labored on the birthing ball for awhile and Brent rubbed my back, then moved to the jacuzzi tub. Contractions were coming 3 minutes apart and lasting just over a minute and really intense. Time to get checked and I was so looking forward to seeing how close I was. Doctor came in at 2pm and told me I was at 5cm (disappointing since I was 3.5cm at the doctor's office on the Friday before) and the baby was face up, probably the reason I wasn't further along. I decided to go ahead and get the epidural. The plan was to rotate me from side to side to see if it would help move the baby - did not matter to me since I was feeling a little more present in the world! It worked out great for Brent too - since Monday was Martin Luther King Jr day, there were basketball games all day for Brent to watch - my only requirement was the tv be on mute.

I got checked again at 6pm - still 5cm. This is when the doctor first mentioned the strong possibility of a cesarean section. I was able to keep the plan going with the turning from side to side since baby's heartbeat was absolutely perfect. They were also pumping me with pitocin to get the contractions stronger - and they were - every 2 minutes, lasting 60 - 90 seconds. Good thing for that epidural! At 9pm, the doctor came in and checked me again - no change and I was still a solid 5cm. Brent and I looked at each other and I think we both knew what would be for the best. I signed the forms and the prepping started for surgery. One of the possible side effects from the epidural medicine is shaking and I had it bad. It was scary and I was nervous, but Brent stayed right by my side, holding my hand and talking to me about the dogs, our wedding in Maui, and the new house we would be bringing the baby home to - anything to keep my mind off the procedure.

Brock entered the world feet first, as Brent described it, and as the doctor was pulling him out, said "Oh wow! That's a big one! I wasn't expecting that." The doctor cut the cord from the placenta, but after they brought him over to the scale, Brent was able to cut off the rest of the umbilical cord.

We were wheeled back to the Labor & Delivery Room and Brent held Brock in front of me so I could see him a little more closely. I couldn't hold him or feed him yet until my shaking was under control, but after about 45 minutes it finally died down and I was able to hold him next to me. I can't believe that this "little" guy was inside me, but when I first started talking to him and saw him move his head towards my voice, it was an instant love.

We stayed in the hospital until Thursday morning and have been home resting since then. We are working on a schedule and doing what all the nurses and everyone else had recommended - sleeping when baby sleeps. Every day seems to get a bit better from the surgery, but it will take time to be back to one hundred percent. Brent is doing amazing with helping me and taking care of all of Brock's diaper changes. We are so happy he's here and healthy and loving every minute of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment