Friday, June 6, 2014

House Tour - Playroom

The playroom has been one of the rooms I've really focused on getting "done" quickly so Brock will have a fun and safe place to play. I really wanted a room that was very accessible for Brock - a place where he could see his toys, explore and let his imagination flow!

I also needed one room in the house that Brock could play with anything and everything and didn't have to hear the word "no" about getting in to something he shouldn't. (We may have to move one thing to make that happen, but the room is pretty close to reaching all my goals.)


I'm not a huge fan of Ikea (contrary to what my husband may believe), but I think it serves its purpose for "low-cost yet functional furniture/decor" and I've definitely utilized Ikea goods in this room. The big white square bookshelf is Ikea's Kallax shelving system (replacing the Expedit system) and I love that it attaches to the wall to make it safer for Brock lest he try to climb it one day.

The treadmill is Brock's second favorite toy. He smartly uses the running pad as a track for his cars and trucks and loves making them go "overboard" at the back.

Brock's favorite toy currently are his matchbox cars

We love the big windows in the front of the room. I had to close them for the picture because it was way too bright - but I think that is a wonderful problem to have here in Seattle! Along the top of the window, I hung large 5x7 flashcards of animals A through Z! Brock loves pointing to the different animals for me to name and correctly "Roars" when pointing to the lion. The curtain wire and hooks are another Ikea buy.
Brock helped out decorating the room too! I taped off a letter "E" on a canvas board and Brock finger-painted the rest. The finished product remains after removing the painter's tape!

Yet another Ikea buy are these nifty frames (at $0.99 each!!) that I've hung with fingerplay songs from my pre-school days. They are super light with a plexiglass top and eventually I'd love to showcase some of Brock's artwork in them instead!

What good is a House Tour of a playroom without a video of him playing in it?? :) Don't mind the pajamas - this was right before bed one night.

And two last pictures of what we've been up to this week. I made Brock a little photo book of ALL his favorite people - Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins. We will be seeing some faces we haven't seen in many months this upcoming summer and I want to help Brock "remember" these faces when he sees them (more than just on Skype). He has been insanely cute about it too. This was the book he has picked out for me to read him before bed the last TWO nights!
Looking at Grandma Barbara and Aunt Brandi
Flipping the page to Papa


No comments:

Post a Comment