Thursday, September 4, 2014

Tokyo - Part IV

Tokyo Sky Tree in background
On Wednesday, our goal was to take it easy. I wasn't looking for a long commute to get to our destination, so we settled on visiting Roppongi, two stops up on the metro, for shopping and cool playgrounds.
The shopping area was a little different than I expected. I knew it was a nice mall... just didn't know how nice. The area is very upscale and modern - in the center is Mori Tower, a 54 story retail and office building bordered on one side by four residential buildings. I felt very safe walking around here and saw lots of mothers with children walking around the neighboring parks.
This is Robot Park in Roppongi - small, but fun.

Brock had fun sliding down (and walking up) all the various slides.

We both really loved this slide! It followed the stairs down to the street so I can only imagine that some adults choose to ride the slide too on the way to their destination. Here's a cute little video of him sliding.

Such a silly little boy! And I love his legs!

This huge sculpture was in the front of the Mori Tower - Brock didn't seem fazed it was a humongous spider.

I bought Brock a pair of Hakka rain boots from a kids boutique. I probably paid more than I would have back in the States, but they are adorable and are totally "Made in Japan". He's going to look so cute this winter!
No highchair for Brock!
When Brent finished working, we all went out to a Chinese restaurant and had dumplings, pork lettuce wraps, spicy chicken (Brent), and white rice. Have I mentioned before how much Brock loves this rice??  It was all really yum!

Moving right along to Thursday, Brock and I decided to head to the Aquarium. I had intentions of visiting lots of (free) Japanese gardens, but there's an outbreak of dengue fever noted at one of the big parks here in Tokyo and it has me worried. It's also really humid (especially for us soft Seattle-its) so two for two - get inside away from the mosquitos and the humidity.
The Aquarium isn't too far from our hotel, so I thought it would be a nice little trip.

We arrived just in time for the Dolphin Show and Brock thought it was the coolest thing ever.
I thought it was adorable that all the grade-school children were there in their cute uniforms!
Brock enjoyed watching the fish. I think he liked that he could see everything!
The Aquarium had a little hands-on area.... with a twist. Silly me should have recorded Brock's first, and only, attempt at putting his fingers in. It was filled with little garra rufa fish that swarm to you and nibble all the dead skin away. Brock pulled his hand out of the water so fast! He did not like that one bit!
"Giant Pacific Octopus"
It was a cute little Aquarium. By lunchtime, we were done and boarded the train to return to Ebisu. We stopped in the basement of the Mitsukoshi department store to pick up some lunch. It is amazing all the variety of foods they offer - pastry shops, fresh sushi, bakeries, ramen noodles, bento boxes, jellies and jams, etc. There is a gellato shop in the train station that I ogle every time we pass. People work such late hours here, many stop and pick up dinner at the train station before returning home, so the food there is surprisingly really tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment