Cape Lookout Fishing with a Guide

Brent is the guest author for this post! :) 

 


I have been following this guide for about 2 years on YouTube. Nolan fishes a lot of the same places that I fish and I decided that I would reach out to hire him as a guide. He mentors you on your own boat using your own equipment. We picked a good day, headed out on the water, and went fishing!

Nolan first showed me where to catch the bait near Harker's Island - the secret bait spot. I have been practicing throwing the net in the yard for the last several months - starting with a 7 foot net, then an 8 foot, and finally a 10 foot net - which is what we used to catch enough bait fish to fill my live well. 

First big catch - a 25lb King Mackerel (above and below picture). 


We then caught a few Spanish Mackerel before catching a Gag Grouper. We released it live because it's not in season. 


We also caught one Bonito - gave it to Nolan for him to use as bait. Vanessa was tracking me on the Sat phone - points were not exactly accurate. 



We hooked a big fish, thinking it was another King Mackerel, but after a 10 minute fight and 2 laps around the boat, I reeled in a 34" long Cobia - 2" shy of a keeper. It would have been a nice meal!


Then we were back on the Spanish - caught about fourteen Spanish Mackerel. This one (below picture) was one of the largest - citation size. 


Gorgeous day! 



Our completed fishing journey - circling Shackleford Banks. 


When I arrived home, Kade wanted to pose with the fish - he was longer!



Pictures of the king in front of the boat. 


Had to let Moose smell it. 


Kade wanted to hold the fish too - grabbed some of my mechanic gloves to lift it. 



If you'd like to see more of my fishing journey - check out Nolan's video featuring me and my boat!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Cape Lookout Fishing with a Guide

Brent is the guest author for this post! :)    I have been following this guide for about 2 years on YouTube. Nolan fishes a lot of the same...