Thursday, August 5, 2021

Kings Dominion


Brock and I had a different trip planned, but ended up getting very sick the week before and had to cancel. I still wanted to take Brock to Kings Dominion, as that was part of the plan - so off we went!

We made it a little mini-vacation and drove up the day before - staying in a hotel very close to the park. We were there when the gates opened!


Our first rollercoaster of the day was Apple Zapple and it was a small coaster that packed a lot of punch - lots of tight turns that Brock did NOT like. He felt as though we were going to fall out at any moment. 

So, I decided to give the big swing a try.... this was no ordinary swing ride. This was a monster! Those chairs go up 300 feet in the air - it says on a clear day you can see as far as 18 miles! Brock wasn't a fan of the height here either - but he was proud he did it, so took the picture for me. 


We gave one more roller coaster a try - the wooden Grizzly - opened in 1982, it is 3,150 feet of track that mimics the layout of the now defunct, but famous Coney Island Wildcat. (a little trivia for ya!)

NOPE! Poor Brock started crying after this one. 

Let's slow this down... What a gorgeous day for a drive! 




He was a little apprehensive to drive the car solo, but I knew he could do it! I got a glimpse into my future when he'll be asking to drive the car everywhere!



It was HOT that day (sunny & 90 degrees). After an early lunch in an air conditioned building, we headed for the water park area! He is so in his element here - he told me that water slides are safer than roller coasters. We went on some doozies - one that even made me feel a little dizzy when I reached the bottom! We floated on the lazy river three times - thought of my mother every time. 

And oh, the wave pool. He wanted to keep jumping the waves and diving into them. 


Obviously my phone was secured away in a locker, but I got a few pictures of Brock in the water. He wanted to show me how tall he was - by reaching the top of this splash funnel! 


We decided to cool off with some Frozen Ice! Brock loves this stuff! I'm pretty sure this was the Kona Ice truck - cool because you could choose which flavors you want yourself. I advised him to get at least three! He got Lemon-Lime, Cherry, Grape and the Mystery flavor!


After a bit more water park, it was time to get back in our street clothes and see if there were any other rides we wanted to ride in the main park. Bumper cars! Look at my big guy driving all by himself!


We found Snoopy in the Planet Snoopy land (the kiddie land). 


Brock is so tall for his age, I sometimes forget too that he's still a little boy.... he felt more at ease doing this kiddie roller coaster!






And then it was time to hit the road! We left about 45 minutes before the park closed so we could get on the road and stop for dinner at Cracker Barrel. 


It was a long day - we didn't end up getting home until 10:30 at night! I remember those days my mother would do this as a day trip with three kids!! Where did she find the energy?

No comments:

Post a Comment