Saturday, January 31, 2015

It's time for a birthday party!!

 
We celebrated Brock's 2nd birthday with a few of his friends (and Mommy's friends too!) this morning. I tried to showcase Brock's construction-crazed theme right from the entrance!
It was fun to decorate the house. I saw this on Pinterest and thought it was adorable.
Birthday Zone!
Cousin Andrew made this and had it framed for Brock's new big boy room, but it was the perfect accessory to display for the party! We love it and Brock can't wait to show it off in his new room! Everytime he sees it, he says "Hold it." (he wants to hold it) :) The animal train is from Cousin Katherin from Germany - sorry Katherin, another year the candles didn't make it in the train. ;)

We invited some friends from his preschool, some from MOPS, a neighbor, and the family I babysit for - it was definitely plenty for my little overwhelmed boy. I understand he's not used to all these people playing with his toys and being in his home, so this was a little much for Brock. After about 30 minutes he finally relaxed enough to play with his trucks with some of the "big girls" and have snack with his buddies Kanoa and Elijah from school.
Brent hanging with the guys....

Then the best part! It was time for cake!
Bob the Builder white cake with strawberry filling
I knew the singing thing would be trouble - he didn't really like it when it was only Brent and me singing to him! He slouched in his chair to get away from everyone singing to him, but then he blew out the candles like a pro! His favorite part!

And because he did so well, everyone clapped and cheered - oh no. Brock had "forgotten" about all this attention and now he "remembered" how much he didn't like that.
After a little time away from the table, he calmed down enough to go back and have his piece of cake..... but it was definitely a foreshadowing for the very near future.....
Brock didn't make it much longer than this. He finished his cake - and when I say cake, I mean frosting - and then he was done. No more playing, no more friends, no more "Happy Birthday". We said good bye to a few people and he went up to bed. I heard him for 45 seconds and then he was OUT. Yes, the birthday boy crashed at his own party.

After a nice two hour nap, he woke up his usual self. We opened the presents from our friends and he was a happy boy again.
Mega Blocks truck from the twins - Kanoa and Elijah
Hand-written card from Ashley, our neighbor across the street

Cute Jake the Pirate Bank from Siena
Wrapping paper for Oscar
And the coolest present ever that you can't buy at a store (well, you'd have to buy the pieces to put it together, but you know what I mean....) This is from my friend Amy and her two girls. We were talking about sensory boxes at MOPS last week and she told me she made one for her little girl. I thought it was such a great idea and it's been on my "to do list" for over a week. Well now I don't have to make one! Filled with different beans, a dump truck, two medicine cups and pieces of egg carton. Brock played with it for over 30 minutes - and actually listened to me about being careful to keep the beans IN the bin!

Final thoughts - So happy to celebrate Brock's birthday with some of the wonderful friends he and I have both made over the last year, but I'm also very happy birthdays only come once a year. Next year Brent and I decided we'll have it at Chuck E. Cheese and let someone else prep and clean for us! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment